THE AUTUMN UPDATE: 5 Top Trends April 25, 2018 – Posted in: Design, General, Uncategorized – Tags: 2018, autumn, decor, ideas, interior design, tips, trends
With autumn and winter steadily approaching in the Southern Hemisphere, the changing of the season is the ideal excuse for a fresh update of your home or office. The move into the cooler months of 2018 provides the chance to revitalize the atmosphere of your space by updating your interiors to suit the seasonal change. Here are five of our favourite autumnal trends currently having a moment.
1. Textures & embellishments: Diverse materials, with interesting textures and embellishments, are definitely having a moment this autumn. Think rich textures like velvet and wool; and embellishments like macrame, fringing, tufting, tassels, and feathers. Utilize these on cushions, wall hangings, throws, rugs and accessories (they add a beautifully cozy and homemade quality to a room).
2. Dark hues: Although the traditional autumnal colour palette of burnt orange tones will naturally make an appearance in the cooler months, darker hues, particularly various shades of blue are emerging as the popular choice this season. Pair with other earthy colors like deep chocolate brown, rich hazelnuts and dreamy creams and embrace black furnishings in flooring, cabinetry and appliances.
3. Marigold-hued yellow: This bright, yet somehow simultaneously muted shade will allow a little sunshine into your home in the colder months. However, marigold-yellow is a bold, statement colour, so handle with care. Before you paint an entire wall or reupholster a sofa, consider bringing this trend in through accent pieces and accessories for a subtle pop of colour.
4. Concrete: With the saturation of the industrial-chic trend several years ago, we practically overdosed on concrete. This autumn we see a return of the material, albeit in a more subtle application. That is, embrace this trend through features such as concrete sinks in your bathroom or kitchen, for example.
5. Geometrics & metallics: Geometrics are certainly having a moment, evolving from last year’s cushion and rug trend and spreading to tiles, wallpaper and art. Similarly, metallics continue to gain popularity, with gold really making a splash this year – bring this trend in through door knobs, lamp bases, picture frames, mirrors and accents of sofas, tables and sideboards.