Heart of the Home: 5 Kitchen Trend for 2018 March 16, 2018 – Posted in: Design, General, Uncategorized – Tags: interior design, kitchen, trends
The kitchen is often described as the heart of the home: a place to gather as a family over a soulful meal prepared with love; a space for creativity and experimentation; an area to enjoy good food with family and friends. Thus, upgrading, renovating or redecorating your kitchen must be carried out with the knowledge that this particular room often sets the tone for the entire house. With that in mind, here are 5 trends for 2018 that can take your kitchen from mediocre to exceptional.
1. Dark countertops: All-white kitchens are taking a backseat this year, with dark countertops in rich dark green, black and rust tones receiving growing intrigue. Tip: Basalt Slate is trending among homeowners.
2. Banquette seating: A homage to a classic 1980s kitchen favorite, banquette seating appears to be making a comeback in 2018. However, the revival of this trend is a far cry from the Formica countertops and vinyl seating of yesteryear. Think cosy alcove in a thoroughly modern setting.
3. Bold colors: Vibrant pops of colour – whether it be countertops, appliances, walls or tiling – continue to gain popularity this year. Bright colors reflect the personality of the homeowner as well as the atmosphere and purpose of the space. Tip: Pantone’s Colour of the Year, Ultra Violet, is already making a splash in the kitchen.
4. Marble: Although marble in the kitchen is hardly an innovative concept, the trend is taking a more dramatic turn in 2018. Think statement marble, high contrast bold veining on a superior scale. Rather than the subdued marble countertops of previous years, entire walls are being transformed by this bold trend, making it the focal point of your kitchen.
5. Open shelving: Building on the idea of the kitchen as the heart of the home, the concept of open shelving establishes the kitchen as a ‘living room’. To this end, open shelving allows homeowners to add a personal touch to their kitchen by displaying accessories and gourmet food items that reflect their personality.